Thursday, February 14, 2013

My favorite Valentine's Day

I must say, I have always loved Valentines day.

In elementary school, when you got those awesome little cards with candy glued to them.
In middle school, when people would slip love notes through the cracks of your locker.
In high school, when secret admirers would confess their love through singing valentines.

But my favorite Valentine's day of all was actually when Lucas and I weren't even dating. To preface, Lucas and I had dated from October to January.  Then, abruptly, we decided to take a break in our relationship.  Lucas and I didn't really talk the entire month of January, so I thought things were over between us.

So now it's Valentine's Day, and I'm kind of feeling bummed because I don't have anyone to share it with.  Except, of course, for my best friend Kate.  So Kate and I decide to make the most of it - we bought cute Valentine's Day outfits, and we bought tickets to see Mindy Gledhill in concert. (Who is Mindy Gledhill?? Well, go here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AWRHBHDVlQ) and find out.


Anyways, that Valentine's day started off pretty great.  Curled my hair, put on my cute red shirt from forever 21, and heading off to school.  I was determined though that I wouldn't get a single valentine, I would enjoy my day!

Well, now I'm at work.  I'm plunking away on the keyboard, when suddenly there is a knock at my office door.  I open it, and a handsome lad is standing at the door with a giant box.  He asked (in an Australian accent, I must add) "Is there a Kara McRae here?"
Me: "Uh.... that's me."
Man: "This is for you."
Me: "Who is it from?"
Man: "Well, I'm not sure.  He paid me to come and give these to you."
Me: "Well, what did he look like?"
Man: (smiles) "Oh, he is a strapping, handsome lad."
Me: (Laughs).  "Common, tell me who he is."
Man: "I really don't know.  Maybe a card inside can tell you."

I quickly snatch the box away from him, and he quickly ran away.  The box was about three feet long, and was wrapped in a lovely red ribbon.  I tore open the ribbon, opened the box...

And inside was two dozen roses, about three bags of chocolate, and a small card.

I opened the card, and in it was a poem written by John Donne, signed, "your secret admirer."

Well, I went through my head and tried to figure out who it could be.  I narrowed it down to a few individuals, but they all awkwardly denied that they hadn't given me the flowers.

It wasn't until months later I found out that it was Lucas who gave me those roses, despite his many previous denials. Even though we had broken up, he still held on to our relationship and hoped that one day it would resume.

And resume it did.


I get to spend this Valentine's Day with the man of my dreams.  I never expected I could love someone as much as I love him. I am so grateful for this "strapping handsome lad", and for his sweetness, his humor, his love, his ambitions, and his talents.  Thank you Lucas Duraccio for making me so happy.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

1 comment: